Monday 23 November 2009

vargo titanium sierra cup

I must be spending too much of my online time chatting with American backpackers; seems their influence has lead me to buy the one piece of kit that is THE symbol of backpacking in the US - the sierra cup.

With a capacity of 270ml it doesn’t really fit in with my perceived camp kitchen ideal. That said I’ve often wanted to take just the Snow Peak 900 but think that it looks ridiculously big as a mug! The sierra cup sits nicely on top of this and the Primus 1L pot that I use with my Bush Buddy, so perhaps there was some reason for the purchase. That said once I’ve found one of those dinky Alpkit karabiner clips I’ll be hanging it off my rucksack :)

The big benefit with the cup is the ease in which it can be filled from the barest trickle or the shallowest of water sources, which makes filling the Travel Tap a whole lot easier. I’ll take it to the Lakes next week but I can’t see me needing it to that…

5 comments:

Philip Werner said...

It really is handy to have a water dipper for those small water sources. I use a dead platypus bladder that I've cut in half to use as a water scoop. Works pretty well and folds flat. But having a cup is essential in colder weather so you can have a brew while your snow melts.

baz carter said...

That's something that I was reminded of when I was last in north Wales - we just couldnt fill the bottles from some of the sources we found. It was particularly hot that weekend and I just couldnt face not having some water to glug when I wanted to.

The bike shed said...

Titanium for twelve quid - can't be bad.

andy said...

useful as an emergency bed-pan!
I will stick to my bottle!

baz carter said...

Andy, Just make sure you mark the bottle with a huge and very visible P you don't want to be glugging from the wrong one now do you. Mark, you'll know where this one comes from:)